Friday, October 26, 2012

A Franken-WHHAAAAA??

"I am not a Frankenstein. I'm a Fronkensteen." -Young Frankenstein

So not to alarm you and all, but apparently it's the end of times.  Those Mayans may have just had it right.  Never in my life did I think it possible for a hurricane to combine with a snow storm.  I mean, these are weather events that occur in two completely separate seasons.  But seasons, ha!  Who and I kidding?  Global warming is a bitch...
Normally I would not really care all that much that a 'Frankenstorm' was slowly making its way to NYC.  I would just join all the rest of the city on line (that's right, ON line) at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to stock up on my artisian, organic, locally grown hurricane basics.  Some places run out of water, batteries, and bread when a big storm is predicted.  New Yorkers buy the stores out of tapenade, cheese, and wine.  Oh!  And do not forget the hummus!  So normally I would not care and I would pretend to get all worried about the potential destruction of this, the greatest city on Earth... and then just use the resulting mid-level rainstorm as a good excuse to do absolutely nothing for a day.
However...
Next week is the week that J and I pack up our apartment and send it along to London ahead of us.  Next week is the week that we are supposed to receive our new bedroom furniture exactly one day before the actual move.  And the actual move is happening on the last day of our lease.  Sooo... we REALLY don't have any room for error in this equation.  But it seems like there is a nasty little Halloween trick on its way north from the Caribbean to throw a kink in our plans.  
I would just like you to know, Sandy, that I do.not.have.the.patience.for.this.  I am not angry at you, no.  I am just disappointed.  Disappointed that you would have chosen THIS path in life.  We had such great hopes for you.  We thought you might settle down close to home.  But no, you had to start making eyes at that blizzard from out West.  Decided to go join him in that great big city up North.  I don't know where we went wrong with you Sandy.  Why are you hurting us like this?
Despite our apparent impending doom, things are in full swing transfer-wise.  We found a new tenant for our apartment and successfully transferred over our lease.  I informed work of the move and gave my notice.  We have been spending almost all of our free time with our NY friends, making the most of these last few weeks with them.  
This move has really brought home the fact that J and I are so lucky.  We have both lived in the city for between 9 and 10 years and have accumulated a truly fantastic set of friends and acquaintances.  We are going to miss them all dearly.
And as for you, 'Sandy Frankenstorm'... maybe rethink the path you're on.  Don't make us ground you... we all know what happens to hurricanes that get grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment