Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Never Talk To Strangers

Never talk to strangers... a rule to live by.  One that we can recall from our earliest memories.  A concerned parent, leaning over to impart that all important piece of information, the thing that will keep you safe from all evil and danger from that point forward.  Never talk to strangers.  "OK," says wide eyed, five year old Colleen.
But I did.  I talked to a stranger.  A real, true, honest to goodness stranger.  On the street.  In front of a C-Town.  I was 28.  So there may be a difference here.  Developmentally appropriate, even.  But still, I talked to a stranger, and now I'm moving to London.
Maybe it wasn't quite so simple as that.  Maybe between the time I talked to that stranger and now (the moving to London part), there were a couple of dates.  Maybe there were more than a couple.  Like 3.5 years worth.  Maybe I fell in love which has clearly skewed my sense of all things reasonable.  Maybe this is reasonable!  Who knows anymore?  All I know is that I am leaving the city and country I love to start a new adventure. 
I am pretty much OK with this. 
New York is great.  It's the "city so nice, they named it twice".  The "Big Apple".  It's "the center of the universe", right?  But what if it isn't?  In fact, I've been chilling out on this planet long enough to know that it probably most definitely isn't.  And at age 31, maybe it's time to really get out there and explore some of ... well if not the universe, at least the planet.  Why not take advantage of circumstances beyond my control?  Learn a few things.  Step outside of my comfort zone, if you will.
So this is going to be what this blog is about.  The fun, the excitement, the trials, and tribulations of moving to and living in a new country (England).  In a new continent (Europe).  And my explorations of said country and continent.  Granted, it's not Zimbabwe.  I don't even need to learn a new language.  But for me, it's a big change that brings with it all kinds of new challenges. 
So if you have found yourself here and think you would like to spend a few minutes in my odd-ball goofy little world, please read on.  Enjoy the journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment